Calling all storytellers and musicians for stories and songs of the river. Friends of the North Fork…
2019 High School and College Summer Intern
The Friends of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River (Friends) is located in Woodstock, Virginia and serves the county of Shenandoah, and parts of Rockingham, Warren, Page and Frederick counties. Under the supervision of Friends staff, the intern will assist staff with coordination and implementation of a variety of conservation and environmental education activities, including but not limited to:
- Assistance with River Rangers and River Players Summer Camps (2 weeks), school programs and community workshops.
- Assistance with field work and river research activities; helping to organize benthic macroinvertebrate river health assessment training; and assistance with river clean-ups.
- Assistance with social media communication plan and graphic design/photography.
- Development of education materials; Help create new educational materials for teachers and students featuring our mascot Stanley the Stoneroller.
- Working at events; and completing administrative activities.
- Possibly participate in a week-long Chesapeake Bay Ecology Summer Course from the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.
The ideal applicant will have an interest in environmental science and conservation as well as a desire to learn more about Friends of the North Forks programs and activities. The proposed summer start and end dates are flexible, as school schedules vary and will affect intern availability, but we hope you can be on board by mid-May to help with school programs, and the summer camps the last two weeks of June.
- Approximate Dates: May 13 – August 9 (12 weeks) (Off one week for vacation)
- Approximate Hours: 20 hours per week; 40 for summer camp weeks
Currently enrolled or recent graduate high school and college students are encouraged to apply. Upon successful completion of the internship, the student will be eligible for up to $2000.00 from Friends. The internship schedule is flexible, but will include weekdays and some weekend events.
Send application package including: resume, references, and a cover letter outlining: intern’s potential start and end dates, weekly hours available, and why you are interested in the internship position with Friends.
Application packages must be received by April 19, 2019.
Application packages should be sent to: Friends of the North Fork of the Shenandoah River at:
email@example.com or P.O. Box 746, Woodstock, VA 22664. Questions? Call us at 540-459-8550.